When you’re in elementary school, the things you love about summer may differ slightly from what you love about summer when you’re an adult. There is no doubt that I loved the ice cream man with a capital L when I was young. Among the missile pops and ice cream sandwiches sat the choco tacos, which to me were the stuff dreams were made of. I would gladly pony up a week’s allowance for one of those heavenly tacos.
Now, as an adult, I admit that I will still buy a choco taco whenever I see one at a convenience store, but I have become wiser since my days of standing in line at the ice cream truck. Now I know that not only can I get them cheaper at home, I can also get them better at home.
Don’t get me wrong…the original choco taco will always hold a place in my heart, but as an adult, here are some things that I love about summer:
- The way the light comes into the dining room windows midmorning
- The smell of the food being barbecued
- The way Andy smells after barbecuing
- The fruit at the farmers market
- The agapanthus blooms in our yard and the bees that visit them
- The fresh, warm air blowing through our open windows
- The way the patio becomes our outdoor living room
- The way the kittens find the changing sun and lay in it
- The warm nights that require only a bed sheet for coverage
- The flip flop tan on my feet
- The stillness of the evenings
- The fresh, spicy peppers growing in our garden
And, of course, homemade choco tacos…check out my recipe here.